Located in British Columbia, Pacific Rim National Park Reserve is over 126,000 acres including a ten mile stretch of undeveloped coastline, mountains and rainforests on Vancouver Island. Established in 1970, it is divided into three separate regions including Long Beach, the Broken Group Island and the West Coast Trail. Open from mid March to mid October, it represents one of the most popular natural areas in the region today.
Long Beach Unit – Located between the villages of Tofino and Ucluelet, it is most well known for its 10 mile beach which is located on Wickaninnish Bay. Most accessible and popular of all regions it is home to many trails, campgrounds and a visitor center which offers visitors information as well as a gift shop, theatre, exhibits and a restaurant.
Broken Group Islands Unit – An archipelago with over 100 islands located in Barkley Sound, this area is accessible only by boat. The unit is popular with kayakers and offers 7 camping areas.
West Coast Trail Unit – Popular with hikers, this unit is a 47 mile backpacking route which offers stunning views of rainforests, cliffs, waterfalls, sea arches and stacks as well as waterfalls and beaches. It runs the West coast of Vancouver Island from Port Renfrew to Bamfield.
- Birding – Known for its migrations as it is located on the Pacific Flyway – Visit from March – May
- Boating – Filled with coves and bays to explore
- Camping – A number of campsites are available throughout the summer months
- Cycling – Not easy biking is quite popular throughout the Long Beach Unit
- Cultural experiences – Many programs offer visitors a look at the history of the original residents of the area, the Nuu-chah-nulth people
- Fishing – Rules apply, check with authorities before fishing in the region
- Hiking – From easy to hard, there are hundreds of miles of area to explore and miles of trails to hike
- Surfing – Put it on your bucket list
- Watersports – Kayaking and canoeing are quite popular throughout the region, but the water can be cold so consider wearing a wetsuit
Island Trader Vacations reviews and explores top destinations for travel with you. Learn more about travel and become a more informed traveler with Island Trader Vacations reviews.